Fërgesë is a traditional Albanian dish that is known for its rich and savory flavor. This dish is made with a combination of peppers, onions, tomatoes, and two types of cheese, feta and kaçkavall. It is easy to prepare and is perfect for a family dinner or a potluck with friends.
In this step-by-step guide, we will show you how to cook fërgesë in a skillet on the stovetop.
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 pound kaçkavall cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions to the skillet and cook until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced peppers to the skillet and cook for 10-15 minutes, until they are soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and water to the skillet and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the crumbled feta cheese and grated kaçkavall cheese to the skillet.
- Stir the ingredients together until the cheese is melted and well combined.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to cook the fërgesë for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Fërgesë is best served hot and can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. It is a hearty and satisfying meal that is sure to impress any guests with its unique and flavorful taste. Give it a try and discover the wonderful flavors of this traditional Albanian dish.