In the 1920s, Albania saw the establishment of its first technical and vocational schools, which were supported by the United States. The Harry Fultz Institute in Tirana and the Albanian-American Schools of Agriculture in Golem, Kavajë, were both founded with American aid.
The Harry Fultz Institute, established in 1921, was financed by the American Red Cross. It was named after Harry Fultz, an American philanthropist who donated money to support education in Albania. The institute provided vocational training in a variety of fields, including agriculture, commerce, and handicrafts. The goal was to help Albanians acquire the skills they needed to improve their lives and contribute to the country’s development.
In 1925, Charles Telford Erickson founded the Albanian-American Schools of Agriculture in Golem, Kavajë. This institution was supported by the State Department and the American Embassy in Tirana. The school focused on agricultural education, training students in modern farming methods and techniques. The school’s curriculum also included courses in economics and management to prepare students for leadership roles in their communities.
The establishment of these schools was significant for Albania, which had limited educational opportunities at the time. Technical and vocational education was critical to the country’s development, and American support helped provide the resources needed to create these institutions. The legacy of these schools continues today, as Albania continues to invest in education and workforce development to promote economic growth and prosperity.